Full-text subscription database of federal and state cases, statutes, law reviews and news.
- To find U.S. law review articles, use the "Look up a Legal Case" box and then click on the "Law Reviews" link.
- To find U.S. cases, use the box titled "Look up a Legal Case".
- Click on the "cases" link within that box then use "Advanced Options" to limit by date or jurisdiction; "Build Your Own Segment Search" allows you to search for terms among the core terms, headnotes, etc. For example: CORE-TERMS(evolution) AND HEADNOTES("establishment of religion")
- To search the U.S. Code, click on "Search by Subject or Topic" > Legal: "Federal Statutes and Regulations". Under "Advanced Options", check only "Annotated U.S. Code (USCS)".
- To find U.S. public laws, click on "Search by Subject or Topic" > Legal: "Federal Statutes and Regulations". Under "Advanced Options", check only "Public Laws".
- To find foreign cases, click on "Search by Subject or Topic" > "International Legal", then choose either "Canadian Cases" or "EU, Commonwealth, and other Nations". If you choose "EU...", make your choice(s) under "Sources". Note: coverage varies.
- It is not possible to simultaneously search all U.S. and foreign law reviews without selecting each by hand. To search selected law reviews, choose Browse (at top of front page) > Law Reviews & Journals folder > select desired titles > OK-continue. To search combined US & Canadian, UK, Australian, and/or Brazilian law reviews, choose Browse (at top of front page) > Law Reviews & Journals folder > Multiple/Single Source > Multiple-source Files > select desired titles > OK-continue.
- To find other materials that cite a particular case, choose "Next Steps" (at the top right) > Shepardize.
Help: LexisNexis Academic Knowledge Center, including Natural Language and Boolean Searching.
Full-text subscription database of case law, law reviews, and news.
- To find U.S. law review articles, choose "All content" > "Secondary Sources" > "Law Reviews & Journals". Alternatively, from a results list, if available, choose "Secondary Sources" or "Context & Analysis", then "Law Review Commentaries".
- To find U.S. cases, choose "All content" > "cases".
- To search the U.S. Code, choose "Federal Materials" > "United States Code Annotated (USCA)".
- To find European Union cases, law review articles, legislation, etc., choose: Browse > All Content > International Materials.
- To find other materials that cite a particular case, law, law review article, etc., click on the "Citing References" tab.
- Black's Law Dictionary is under "All content" > "Secondary Sources" and in the right column.
Help: "Campus Help Guide" [i.e. "Introduction to legal research on Westlaw Next"] is linked to at the bottom of every Westlaw webpage. Other guides, including Searching with Boolean Terms and Connectors are also available.
HeinOnline's Law Journal Library
From the "All Collections" drop-down (at the top left), choose "Law Journal Library". Coverage from the first issue of "more than 2300 law and law-related periodicals". Our strongest database for foreign law reviews.
Help: Training Guides, including Advanced Search Syntax.
International coverage and access to law reviews, scholarly articles, jurisdictional surveys, legislation, and more. Search on a citation to a case in the "Court Cases" field. Search on a citation to the U.S. Code using the form "8 U.S.C. 1158" in the "Statute" field. The "check availability" link connects to full-text in most cases.
An online archive of scholarly journals, including a number of respected law reviews. This can be an especially useful database to search when looking for law reviews for cases decided prior to 1982.